Saturday, October 30, 2010

birthdays

When we were kids, birthdays were everything. We looked forward to the special day, the party, the gifts. Then as we got older, it lost some of its meaning. We worked, no one was around the make the big fuss out of it like our parents did when we were kids. But you know what? Just because we are older doesn't make our birthdays any less meaningful. I can speak from experience.

My birthday falls on the 13th of my birth month. I always thought it was something special. I was born on Friday the 13th...and ended up being the middle child. I would joke about this, placing blame on all my faults on this mere fact. My Mom always made my favorite cake...angel food with chocolate frosting...sprinkles, too, and it always got frosted down the middle of the cake, too. This cake is also my Dad's favorite..maybe that is why I loved it so much. It is a fabulous cake!

Now let's throw in the fact that my second child had a due date of the 19th of the same month of my birthday. This is okay, I tell myself. It will be far enough away so we each have our own day. (I say this because once I didn't live at home, I always had to make my own cake. On a few occasions, I had a DQ ice cream cake but never one made just for me. Unless my Mom was in town for a visit...) Long story short, I had to have another c-cection with child number two. My first was a scheduled c-section as he was breech. I had hopes of a VBAC with number two but she just wouldn't cooperate. So another scheduled section. I can remember vividly the doctor saying one week before due date was the best time...which would put it on the 12th. I had laughed and said, "Oh what a birthday gift. My birthday is the 13th." To which my OB said, "You can schedule for then if you want." HAHAHAHHAHAHA..share my day? It had already gotten lost over the years. No thank you. So my beautiful daughter arrived the day BEFORE my birthday. We each have our own day.

Which leads to me to today. Today is the birthday of someone very special to me. I have known him for a long time and have remet after a long time. He has become very important to me and today I want to celebrate HIM. I want to celebrate all that he is and does.

Today is YOUR day, chalupa.

And I couldn't be happier to celebrate it with you.

No comments: