Friday, January 16, 2009

pat on the back

when I first became a member of the blogging world, I did not realize some of the ramifications it may have. it is a vehicle that can be used to keep family updated, inform loved ones of your life and much more.

I became our elementary's PTO president a few years ago...I am actually in my third year. the president before me had quit mid school year...walked into our principal's office and informed him that she was done. the VP at the time stepped up and I somehow filled in for her vacant vp spot..., even though I wasn't an officer at the time.

it isn't always a good characteristic to brag on oneself but sometimes, darn it!, you want to. the time I put in volunteering for the school isn't a paid position. my payment is when students call me by name, hug me in the hall, a staff member tells me thanks out of the blue...or certain personnel remind you of the difference you are making, big or small.

when I became the president, I thought we might need some changes, modifications, to make us better. I started a monthly newsletter. I opened an email account so if parents had concerns and did not want to talk "face to face" over the phone, they had another opportunity. I also started a blog. now, I am not listing the site as this site, my own site, I keep somewhat guarded. I don't use names or location of where I live. all of that is at the other website.

the point of this post? a comment was received on our school site, the pto site, and it floored me. it gave the pat on the back we all sometimes need to validate what we do. so for you, my few readers, here it is.

my pat on the back.

" CIOSAFETEAM said...
You can always tell when students enjoy a school. Your blog came up on my Google News Alerts. Congratulations on connecting families in your school. The family is a critical component to any child’s life. When it comes to education, no greater statistic stands truer today than the achievement gap between students whose parents are involved in their education process and those who do not have that support. Personal responsibility, safety and education are key elements to bringing up the next generation.

After 10 years of experience leading a volunteer program in my children’s elementary and middle schools, I launched Schools And Families Engaged (the S.A.F.E. TEAM on Campus) in 2008 to meet the needs of schools and families. Many of the school's families do not know where to begin in school. Many parents today never had an example of their parents supporting the school let alone they may not have enjoyed their personal schooling experience. Why would they have a desire to serve? You only know what you have experienced.
Make time to check out our site www.thesafeteam.com . On the About SAFE page, click on the 40 Developmental Assets link. This will tie in all the benefits of families and communities supporting their students both in school and out of school."
January 13, 2009 9:41 AM