Sunday, March 20, 2011

my houses



I know this song has been out for some time but I just listened to it the other day and it made me cry. Why?, you ask. Listen to the lyrics. Think back to the house you grew up in...think back to the house you spent a lot of your time in. Maybe a grandparents house?..

I thought of my house at 137. I thought of my house at 521. I thought of my house at 309. All of these houses are a part of me. From the time I was a little girl and played ball in a yard I used to think was so very big. Now I drive by and it seems so very very small to me. Then there is the home that I lived in from my middle school years until I married and moved out. There is a house in between 521 and 309 but that place never really felt like home to me. And the last place?... The place that I really first felt like it was my home after my childhood home. The place where my kids lived...it is their first memory of a home. All of these houses made me a part of who I am today. And it brought a tear to my eye.

I know the saying "home is where you hang your heart".... "a house is just a house until you make it a home"... so take a listen. The words might grab your heart, too.

No comments: